- Animal Welfare
- Home Energy Efficiency
- Building Control
- Carrickfergus in Bloom
- Household Recycling Centre
- Dog Control
- Environmental Health
- Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
- Food Safety
- Health And Well Being
- Litter Champions
- Parks & Countryside
- Public Conveniences
- Street Cleansing
- Sustainable Development
- Tree Week
- Waste Collection
Love Parks Week
Love Parks Week is an annual campaign to celebrate parks and other green space. In Carrickfergus we are asking as many people as possible to join our campaign for continued investment and support for these valuable assets. Each year we have a number of events that encourage local people and visitors alike to enjoy our parks and green space areas. In 2013 Love Parks Week takes place from 27th July - 4th August 2013.
To keep in touch with whats happening in your local park join our mailing list.
To keep in touch with the latest news and events visit our blog.
Ten Park Facts...Did You Know?
- 91% of people believe that public parks and open spaces improve their quality of life.
- A brisk walk every day, in your local park, can reduce the risk of heart attacks by 50%, strokes by 50%, diabetes by 50%, fracture of the femur by 30%, colon cancer by 30%, breast cancer by 30% and Alzheimer’s by 25%.
- Air quality, air temperature, water and flood management, are all kept within manageable limits because of parks and green spaces.
- The more often a person visits urban open green spaces, the less often he or she will report stress-related illnesses.
- Outdoor play and adventure can increase levels of physical activity and fitness, activate higher cognitive processes and healthy brain development.
- Elderly people who have close access to a place where they can relax and enjoy nature, show significantly greater satisfaction with where they live.
- The number one ranked issue for good parks and public spaces is that they give a sense of community.
- Owners of small companies rank recreation, parks and open spaces as the highest priority in choosing a new location for their business.
- Over 10% of the population choose to use their local green spaces daily.
- Over 50% of us visit a park at least once a week, to improve physical - and mental - health, to enhance our closest relationships, to chill out, to interact with our communities and to have a good time.
Alderman Jim McClurg launches Love Parks Week.
Love Parks Week event at Amphitheatre Mill Ponds in Carrickfergus.
Zumba at Marine Gardens in Carrickfergus.
For further information please contact:
Stephen Daye - Parks & Countryside Development Officer
Telephone: 028 9335 8039